Skip to main content

finally...after about 15 years

so, first off, i posted on facebook that i did something i've wanted to do for 15 years. my college roomie asked if it was getting a tatoo! i laughed, mostly because i remember telling her that one time and seeing her flip out. but, now, she asked if i wanted to celebrate our 35th with both getting one! he he!!

okay, but then i realized, i'm older than i thought, or i'm bad at elementary subtraction because it as more like 20 years now!! boy i'm getting old. i've digressed...yesterday, my kiddos had a half-day. i had briefly mentioned that to my mother-in-law on sunday. well, okay, i hinted that if she wanted my kids they had a half-day. she loves to see the kids and they love going there. well, anyways..thursday morning she called and said she'd pick up my kids if i would pick up my niece(she lives with them) when she gets done at 3:15. then she would fix us dinner. well, geez...what a deal!!

i pick up my niece and we check out a local consignment shop. then i suggested we get a hair color kit and go back to my house. each winter, i feel like my hair turns dirty blond so i like to highlight it. i usually do this just after christmas, but better late than never right? we go into wal-greens and make our selection. my niece loves to do hair so she helped select just the right one!

we head home and get to work. we have about one hour before we need to leave. hubby is gone when we get home, which is probably for the best. he thinks this hair thing is all a little weird. typical guy:)

usually i have to sit with that cap on for way too long. it gets annoying and stinky. but with this kit i needed to only sit for about 10! what a deal!!!! so niece gets it all done and we make small talk while we wait. she laughed at how nervous i was. "i'm not usually like this," i tell her. she asked why this time was so different. i told her that when i was in high school i was teased a lot - usually for being blond. i went on to tell her that i always said i wanted to dye my hair brown so that noone could pick on me anymore. have you figured it out yet?????

it was time to rinse and then look in the mirror. while i was completely scared, i looked in and loved what i saw!!!! oh yes....this is going to be great!!!

picture courtesy of princess


well, it may be a little hard to tell, but i'm now a pecan brunette! it seems to have a hint of red in it. i like it, like it alot! i went for the 6 week kit, i was way too scared. and really it isn't all that much darker.

i do have to give some credit to my niece for being very kind as i picked out blond after blond before settling on pecan. and some credit to my other sweet niece who went brown just before christmas - we look alike. and finally some credit to my dear 20x friends - one who did it herself and the other that told me to go for it! thanks friends for pushing me out of my box..

and, roomie, i'm 51 weeks shy of 35 - better decide what you want!

Comments

I LOVE it! That's a great color on you! It looks fantastic! I always love to color my hair different colors! Good for you!
Kevin Flick said…
cute, cute, cute! can't wait to see it in person.

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes