Skip to main content

something unpredictable

yet oh so right...

i have been blessed with many incredible friends through the years. they have all left a mark on my life in one way or another. yesterday, (i tried to get this up yesterday - technical difficulties) was one of my oldest best friends birthday. we met in jr. high and hit it off. oh the things we did - we made up dances to livin on a prayer, anything paula or tiffany or debbie gibson, wore matching clothes. and pretended to be baby on dirty dancing. we even had the bff necklace that was broken in 2.....come on how many others out there had those!

we had a blast - then she moved.....not too far but far enough that over time we lost touch. from time to time we would get an address for the other and connect very briefly. i always remembered her birthday - june 17. it is the same date as mine - just 5 months later. i guess some things just never fade from my mind.

then came facebook - and she appeared there! while i still haven't talked to her face to face since we were 17, i feel like she is still a friend. odd, we may have nothing in common anymore, but she was so much a part of who i was and currently am that i still feel a bond. she was recently married and is expecting a baby in the fall.......i'm hoping that at some point we can connect.


so once i found her - i started hunting for other long lost best friends - in this picture you will see several i've reconnected with and a few that have always stayed connected. but in this picture is the best friend from high school years.....boy, do we have stories!!!! so many i don't even know where to begin. but i laugh and laugh because something will remind me of some wild adventure we once had. i recently found her on facebook as well....i have loved seeing how my friends have changed and how they've stayed the same.
i miss my old friends. partly because of that time of life; partly because we really had a blast. i loved hanging out with my friends - we just had fun. i miss the good old days sometimes!
although, it seems like a lifetime ago, these friends have left an imprint on my life. and frankly, i needed them during those times - just like i've been blessed with amazing friends, some old some new, for this season of my life.
most of my friendships have been unpredictable - most of the time i didn't like the person at first, only to find out that they were truly my best friend. music is something that always takes me to a place in time.....i was running the other day and listening to my ipod. when this song came on i couldn't help but think back through all of my friendships.....how they really were and are the time of my life.
so thanks to all my friends, old, new, past, present......you definitely are a part of me
and when something unpredictable that at the end is right - you've had the time of your life



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes