Skip to main content

calling it what it is....

as most of you know, God has really been doing a work in my heart. i told my hubby a few weeks ago that God is stirring in me and somethings gotta change, but i just don't know what yet. that thought then took me a step further into thinking - i don't need to be looking for the BIG change - just the daily obedience to Him. i got excited wondering how that simple obedience might change my world. you must read crazy love - just a side note

so as i looked in the mirror, or had others hold a mirror up to me, i started to see the reflection of some things we like to call issues or problems. but the reality is they are SIN. that nasty word we try to never say.

my first thought was in how i treat strangers. am i truly willing to see them as Jesus does? am i truly willing to bless and give without expectations? so here is where i will choose to start...because God tells us love our neighbors like ourselves and treat others like we would treat Jesus.

and then my mom made a comment which revealed yet another huge sin and was confirmed again in something else i read. when we wake up we are given 24 hours to control. we can do what we want with them. that is MY time right? i can choose to do with it as i wish. well, i guess i can, but is that obedience? last week was a rough one with my kiddos. we had a really bad day and i called dear friend in tears who comforted and encouraged me and gently prodded me towards seeking God. my mom kept the kids for the afternoon later that week. i've been dealing with a whiny one. she mentioned that whiny one helped her make cookies and how much she (whiny one)enjoyed that. i smiled, kind of, and said "i know - i just don't ever do that" she kindly mentioned it might help the whining - that princess just wants to be with me. ummm...sure mom. how do mom's always know what to say?!?! so long story short there...how can i learn to love others when i can't spend time with my own child? maybe i need to obey God in the simple training of my child. yes, mom's that includes cooking together, crafting together, playing together, reading together - because that all leads to showing them Christ in you. got it - and guess what - i learned my attitude of my time is a SIN!!

this sunday i needed to remind parents once again to sign their kids in to the children's department. we are growing so this is getting more and more necessary. our nursery parents are supposed to take a bracelet and return the bracelet to pick up their child. i would guess 1/3 do this. we are only getting 1/3 - 1/2 signing in to the children's department. now, i get that for the regular attenders this seems silly. but you see, it is a policy and one we need to follow. i was thinking through all the excuses i get: "do you really think they won't give me back my child? the bracelet is tacky. i'm too stressed to sign them in. i don't see the point. everyone here knows who we are." and on and on they go... i started to think through each of them - i quickly realized they all had a root SIN! yes, folks a root sin. rather it be pure rebellion or pride it is a sin. and frankly, they are choosing to not obey. let me stop here a minute - i have wrestled with this in my own heart as well the past few days - so i am guilty too.

all of this led me to what we preach in church. we preach a lot of facts about the Bible. we could answer all sorts of trivia questions. currently, our pastor is preaching on who the prophets were. while i appreciate the background info and even seeing the sins those prophets brought to light, i realize we don't bring our own sins out to be exposed. what if i told the parent who doesn't sign his child in that he needs to obey? oh boy - i would get quite a look, yet aren't they the same parents who want their children to obey???? we prefer to stick to sins such as sex before marriage, drinking, stealing, etc...

on our bad day last week, i spoke with the kids about obeying your parents in the Lord and all will go well for you....now, i did tell them that this didn't mean prizes and treats, but just an overall goodness in their little worlds. mapboy let me know things weren't going so well right now - i told him he wasn't obeying.....but isn't this verse just as true for us? if we are to relate to God as our Father, then we are called to obey Him. I believe you could find that several places in scripture by the way.

for some reason, us comfortable american christians, think we are exempt from simple obedience. we don't want our sin exposed because it is messy. we like to point out the sin in our children, co-workers, other christians, etc... but why not ourselves???

take a close look at your life. hold up a mirror and write on it all the sins you commit. when you see yourself looking back with sins written all over you start to get humbled and convicted.

mapboy likes to continually monitor our speed. he lets us know when we are going 56 in a 55. my first instinct is to tell him 56 is okay, because it is right? we don't get pulled over....but you know what? that is rebellion and when i tell my 9 year old that it is okay to ignore that rule just a little bit - where does it end?

so i write this as one starting to see the sin in my life. starting to confess and trying to live in daily obedience. trying to be real about who i am and who HE is. but what about you? where are you being rebellious? i realize this may have stepped on some toes, and frankly well then God is at work in you - let Him step on your foot!

Comments

shannon fay said…
Thanks so much for sharing this....what a reminder for me! I finally have some of this thing you call "time" and I need to be spending it more wisely...treating it as the valuable commodity that it is.

It was so nice chatting with you tonight...there's just something about talking with another mom who deals with the same kind of quirky everyday! I hadn't checked your blog in so long, but I'm glad I did tonight. =)
Anonymous said…
"obey your children in the Lord for this is right." would be more correct. Although the principle would be that when we obey things often "go better", would you not agree that isn't a promise we have been given? Can you not even think of folks who may be more obedient than others and yet their struggle and pain is much greater?
Let's release each other from this pressure to perform to a certain standard, the point being we cannot measure up. Where does it end? We DO all far short of the glory of God. How would I ever know I was obedient enough? Wouldn't I have to make rules again, maybe a code like the OT law? And isn't that the old way, don't we want the new way? Can't we obey because God inspires love in us to do so? Rather than striving and striving because we want a better life.
What a gloious hope we have, what a wonderful Saviour--He can put wonderful clean clothes on us, wash us up because we really are stinky, stinky, stinky.
Don't misunderstand, when we are wrong we need to turn from our sin. But I think we need to know what our real sin is. And sometimes that sin is trying so hard to clean ourselves up.
Look at this:
http://www.soundofgrace.com/piper83/080783m.htm
I haven't studied it all, but let's
(if maybe you want to) together--maybe you can see what rings true to you and write about it (?)
Anonymous said…
Uh, me again. Ooops..should say "children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right"
Can't believe I made that mistake..it's kind of a whopper when you see it written out like this.....

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes