Skip to main content

gripped by fear

this post is weird. hard to explain and will probably be a bit all over the place, but bear with me as i bear my soul and share a bit of my journey.


i was never a fearful girl. i kinda always thought life was an amazing journey that was full of risks. i lived by the motto that God was in control and that was that. then that all changed. kind of overnight, but then not really. or i should say, it changed but i didn't grasp it.


when i first got sick in november of 2010 it started with feelings of passing out. i never did, but the fact that 3 -4 times i'd waiver in a store and grip whatever was nearest was enough to start building fear. i would almost panic going into a store. as the dizzyness built it just got overwhelming. and that is what i thought it was - pure overwhelmnant (pretty sure that isn't a real word). then fear gripped me about a variety of things:

...i was sure i had blood clots in my legs that would kill me at any moment.

...i was also sure i had a brain tumor

...i was also sure that i would pass out while driving my kids around and they would die in an accident because of me

(i do not make light of those issues - they are very real and i know several people who have had all of these. this is just me bearing my fears that gripped me! i do have high blood pressure and cholestoral. my dad has an aneursym.)


and that was all in the first few months of this horrible sickness.


i had been assured the first two were not true, but i could never shake the fear. it started to grip me. i even had a few panic attacks. honestly i would laugh about it around my friends. and frankly, in many ways it was comical, but had begun to grip my heart. as the year progressed i learned to cope with those fears. i repeated scripture over and over and over. i read one thousand gifts by ann voskamp. she got me. irrational fears and all. then i started counting my gifts. that was the beginning of the healing journey. it drew me to God. it forced me to see His provision, His hand on my life. while i knew it was there, the cloud of fear had clouded my eyes.


i had started to learn what it meant to totally depend on God. and when i felt like i couldn't i would utter, "help my unbelief!" bit by bit, i started to conquor those fears with Jesus. i learned to take my thoughts captive about my physical fears. God led me to find some healing to the dizzyness. it was refreshing and amazing.


but an ugly thing happened. God started to open my eyes to the little irrational fears that filled my life. i had read a book on overcoming fear. in there it talked about living in the "what ifs." it explained that God promises to give us our daily bread and strength and grace for whatever we encounter. but it also pointed out that by living in the what if's i'm telling God i don't trust Him to provide what I need in that time. hmm..interesting thought.


what if's filled my life. some were bizarre and silly, but frankly still wrapped in fear. i think it is easy to laugh them off as crazy quirks, but fear is truly a sin. (i don't mean fear of a bear attacking me and wanting to protect myself when face to face with a bear.) fear has held me back from some great opportunities. here are some of the fears God has opened my eyes too:


...fear of meeting someone new. i read a girls blog. she cracks me up and i'm sure that we are kindred spirits, but she doesn't know me at all. i have a friend that went to college with her. she blogs here. (check her out!) she posted about something i believe in and invited people to come help out. i was gripped by fear that she would find me freaky....weird. i know, but because of that fear i didn't help in the project.


...fear of letting go. sometimes it is hard to let go of things and move on to others. this one maybe isn't so funny, unless of course you are fearful of letting go of your teddy bear that you still sleep with! i left chubs at home while gone for a week. it was hard, but kind of freeing. he is still in my arms at night though:)


...fear of driving....i won't go into gory detail, but sometimes while driving i can imagine the what ifs that aren't pretty. however, today i drove all by myself to the city in a rainstorm with much confidence.


...fear of failure. what if my hubby's work dries up?


...fear of chiropractors. yes, i was fearful one crack would paralyze me. seriously! but this week i marched myself into one, told her just that. she put me on the table, cracked me, and said, "so, can you walk?" she was very gracious with my honesty.


you see, i think we all have fears. we just mask them.


letting go of chubs - i breathe better at night holding him

fear of meeting someone new - i have enough friends in my life

fear of driving - i'm on a spending freeze

fear of failure - i'm in complete control

fear of chirpractors - well, there is no mask for that one - just a quirk i guess


fear is real. fear is a sin. i heard there are 365 verses about fear. i'd like to find them all.

but this is what i know - God is helping me to face each and every one. for real. and while i chuckle about most of them. i'm learning that God is sovereign. i just kind of forgot for awhile. i'm so thankful for the friends who extended grace, encouragment and wisdom. i'm thankful for doctors who are honest and humored. i'm thankful for a family that laughs with me. but most of all i'm thankful for a gracious, forgiving God that faces our fears with us.

Comments

Shannan Martin said…
I hear you on the irrational fears! One of these days we WILL meet and you'll be surprised to realize that I'm the one who is a weirdo!

Also - Have we discussed our mutual BC friend???? Who?!

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes