Skip to main content

when the music fades...

i often tell people i have a bit of an identity crisis. i'm a little bit rock and roll, a little bit country, part earthy, part hippy, part vintage, part classy, part big city, part blue-grass....i kind of like it all. but lately i've felt a bit of a twinge to figure out who i am in Christ. now, i know i'm redeemed, loved, cherished, bought, set apart. what i really want to know is what God is calling me to. you see i am starting to believe i had gotten a bit too comfortable living this christian life. i think God might be wanting to make me a bit uncomfortable, or really, just step out to be who He created ME to be.

so, with all of that rumbling through my head i took a walk one day. it is a good sort of feeling you know, not one with dread and doom, just a little conversation that gets me all giddy inside (if you have ever been around me personally you know that i get giddy and squeal in a high pitched voice and do a little happy dance!). so i was out walking and mentioned to God that it sure would be nice to hear Him a bit better. you know, a little more clearer. in a not so still voice i heard the loudest ever "turn off the noise!" umm..."okay, God. you want me to tell my children to be silent?" silence. i guess He isn't a big fan of my sarcasm:) so after asking nicely what He meant i heard another not so still voice tell me to turn off the music. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? i have music going ALL THE TIME! but i heard it and decided this was a time for me to choose obedience.

last week i had little radio on and none if i was alone. i had told NOONE at first. i did finally confess to a friend because i was going a bit insane in my lonely office. i didn't tell the kids. i had decided that i would keep the music off when i was alone, but if the family wanted it on they could turn it on. after all, i hadn't told them i was doing this crazy thing. the first morning i headed with the kids into school. it took 3 minutes (yes i timed it!) for the kids to ask if something was broken with the radio. i said no, son turns it on. i drop princess off at school and force myself to turn the radio off. do you know how hard that was!?!?! let me tell you i struggled. i spent the rest of the day avoiding the radio. still wasn't exactly sure how this was going to impact me at all other than drive me the short distance to insanity.

it took 5 minutes after school for the kids to ask.
day 2 it took them 10 minutes
day 3 they never asked in the car
day 4 they never asked in the car or at home
day 5 they never asked in the car, but princess did at home

me: day 2, it was easier to turn it off after they were out of the car
day 3, i never even thought about it and i spent some sweet time praying in the car
day 4, i couldn't wait to be in silence
day 5, i was starting to hear God's prompting a bit more clear

today, one week later? well, let's just say, i turned it off after princess got out of the car. i have been home all morning and yet to turn the radio on. here's what i observed:

we chatted a bit nicer to each other in the car
we actually chatted in the car
our voices were all a bit lower at home (instead of being heard over the radio)
i spent a ton more time in prayer
i learned to appreciate quietness and something i couldn't quite put my finger on until this morning, when i read this:

He's solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul. Psalm 62:2 and 6 from the Message

there it is - breathing room for my soul.

i'm about to begin on another crazy experiment, one that will challenge me like crazy. but i can honestly say i'm excited because i believe it will also bring breathing room for my soul.

what about you? what noise is in your life? do you need some breathing room for the soul? the entire week, without the music on this is what i was singing

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart

I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus


Comments

jeb said…
yes, silence is lovely, but... have you heard what you are being called to be/do? that was the initial question, right.
the back door said…
jeb....i'm not exactly sure yet, but i think the next journey i'm on will most definitely help shape that! it is a journey.....

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes