Skip to main content

the word

i have gotten in the habit of choosing a word for the year.  i've done words like change, love, joy, discover, and last year chose to go different and focus on what i called the power of 10.  i basically failed at that. this past year has been interesting to say the least.  it has been a struggle for me in many ways.  i've kept those struggles a secret with only a few beloved friends.  but it hasn't made them any less real.  any less life sucking.

last week i started pondering this whole word idea.  i had a few swirling around in my head, but decided to ask my friends on facebook for some of their thoughts.  what words would they choose for me? some of their suggestions were weird - like bisquit?  others were really pretty good:  thrive, intentional, strive, exuberance, steadfast, faith, and many more.  i let them roll around in my head and heart.  i even had settled on one, or so i thought:  strive.  i started playing with the word.  pondering it.  but  i kept having this conversation with God.

Me:  i like strive
Him:  yes, I know...you strove all last year
Me:  so i should be good at this 
Him:  really?  how did it work for you?
Me:  you sound a bit like dr. phil
Him:  are you avoiding my question?
Me:  yes
Him:  okay.

we had that conversation exactly 3 times.  then i decided to answer His question.  the reality is striving really didn't work for me last year.  i strove for some health to return.  i strove to earn the love of those i love dearly.  i strove to find answers to confusion.  i strove to find my place in this community.  i strove to be who i think i'd like to be.  i strove to loose weight.  oh i strove.  i had that word down.  when i answered the question i had to honestly say all that striving really didn't work.  it left me confused, hurt, frustrated.  so our conversation continued:

me:  yeah, it didn't work so much
Him:  be still
me:  yeah, right?  aren't are supposed to be about your business?
Him:  be still
me: ?
Him:  be still and know that I am God.

uh...that's a verse.  but then i remembered that one of my friends recommended i use a greek/hebrew word.  so a quick word search was all i needed (well that along with agreeing with Him) to know without a doubt what my word for 2015 is:  

RAPHA

hebrew word for still in psalm 46:10.  it means to be weak, to let go, surrender, let yourself become weak, to be healed.  

i love this.  i love that there is way more to this word than stillness.  i love the depth of what it means to be still.  so my plan is to actually study this word.  to read all the other verses where this word is used in the Old Testament.  i think in my obedience to let go, surrender, be healed, become weak i will likely find that i KNOW God way better.  i'm believe God will reveal Himself in so many ways.  there are so many names of God.  so many i've yet to take hold of.  to witness.  to know.  but i believe that if i stop striving, if i cease the struggle and let go that this is gonna be a great year.

i had tried to explain to someone recently that i was tired of dreaming.  i'm a dreamer by nature, but had grown quite weary of dreaming.  he told me that was wrong -that i should always dream.  i really believe this is a year that i won't.  not out of a woe is me mentality, but out of a simple time to cease.  to stop striving. to stop trying to make something happen.  to just be still.  

RAPHA



Comments

TWitmer said…
Ahhhh...can't wait to see what He does in you this year!

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes