Skip to main content

beauty

one of my goals this summer was to journal more.  i have a love for writing and know that finding the quiet still place of writing soothes my soul.  summer was a bit of a flurry.  but as the summer came to an end i took some time to head outside with a writing prompt from the best english teacher ever. although this probably isn't exactly what the prompt suggested....

i've sat on it.  for me it is a beautiful piece.  but i couldn't decide if i should edit and rework it or leave it as is.  it is imperfect in many ways.  yet perfect in others. its a glimpse into just that one day.  not my every day. but a single day.  a single day that revealed a bit of what my every day should be.

one thing i'm learning - let go of what others may think and be vulnerable. so here, in all its unedited mess, is my walk to find beauty

8.3.15
today is hard - rushed, overwhelmed, frazzled.  the harsh realities of life that keeps coming at me.  i realize that when my passion is faded my focus is too.  how can i be over committed when all i do is work, mom, wife, volunteer in one place?  i can't keep up.  i can't be all.  i can't even get the school supplies together?

i feel as if my body is screaming.  its squirmy, tense, angsty.  i hate it.  i long to relax, to just simply check things off my list.  but instead the stress, angst, and busyness leaves me paralyzed.

so i set off in search of beauty.  it is not lost on me that the search itself is filled with pests that won't relent.  broken limbs that poke my toes.  the constant whir reminding me that little creatures want my blood.

in hopes of finding peace and beauty i feel even more frazzled and annoyed.  but as i turn i'm drawn again to this old barn.  not just the barn, but the contrast of its faded red, wrapped in climbing greens, perched below pale blue skies and strolling pure white clouds.

beauty

simple, rustic, still

standing with open wounds.  visible ones, yet wrapped in new life.  new life piercing through the gaping wounds weaving its way in and out.  new life finding its way into the crevices opened by battering rains and wind.  storms of life that rip the boards apart.  it would seem that those gaps would cause others to ignore the plea of the barn.  cause them to leave it alone.  and maybe that's true.  the gaps lead to loneliness, isolation, abandonment.  maybe the gaps are a result of those.  

but God doesn't just leave the gaps. He doesn't even necessarily repair the gaps. but He does bring new life to weave its way through.

the setting:  gorgeous.  on top a hill.  held up for others to see from a mile away.  on its perch.  on display.  there are wounds still open.  boards missing.  but that life, the new one, is still growing and stretching its way.  new life weaving in and out finding its way through the gaping wounds; lovingly filling them.  that's the simple beauty of New Life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

the great reset?

 well....here we are.  wrapping up 2020.  it was quite a year, wasn't it?  for the past couple of weeks i've been taking some time to reflect on my word for 2020 and how it shaped the year.  the ways it changed me.  the ways i failed it.  they ways i found a reset. there is no point in rehashing the events of 2020.  i mean, it was a year no one will quickly forget, but i had no idea all the ways 2020 would force some resets in my life. i had wanted to reset my spiritual life.  that proved interesting when we found ourselves at home on Sunday mornings instead of in church.  it proved interesting as church community was displaced.   but God... He so clearly showed me that spiritual health happens outside of church walls on Sunday mornings.  i experienced growth as i was challenged to seek out how God would want me to respond to Covid, personal rights, the election, racism, hatred, and division.  i grew in different ways and found myself resetting my faith and aligning closer to J

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f