Skip to main content

walk through hell.....

this blog post has been floating around in my head for awhile.  my word for the year has been "the written word."  it's a bit of a different approach, but here are my goals:  write by hand, send hand written notes , read books, dig into scripture , journal. its been beautiful and since writing has always been a love of mine, fulfilling.

this quest has forced me to also listen to words more.  to really listen to them.

it is no secret that i'm a lover of pop culture.  some may say it's anti-christian, but i work with kids, preteens and teens. and i have teens. since my own kids are immersed in it daily i like to keep myself current.

it is also no secret i'm a lover of music.

it is also no secret (hopefully)  that i'm a lover of my Jesus and following Him.

on a rare occasion there is this brilliant moment when those three loves converge and form something that cracks my heart so deeply that it leaves a permanent piercing.  here is one such moment:

  i was driving along singing to stand by you by rachel platten* one day while my heart was aching for a couple of dear friends.  i'd been praying about how to help them.  then it's like i heard the chorus for the first time:

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you


this is the line that gets me:  
even if we can't find heaven, i'll walk through hell with you.

wow.  read it again.  slow down and really read it.  

i'd been just reading the story of lazarus and begging God to bring healing to a dear friend.  i was begging Him to call her out of the tomb of pain and unwrap the binding.  i was begging God to help another friend walk away from the hell she's put herself in.  i was begging God to let my blessings kids know how deeply they are loved by Him.

here's the thing.  there is literal hell and there is figurative hell on earth for people.  as a believer i long to see people set free from their hell on earth; their despair, their pain, their loneliness, their poor choices, their fear.  i also long for people to be set free from literal hell and give their lives to Jesus.  

here's the other thing:  i CAN'T do any of that.  i can't set people free.  only the Holy Spirit can.  but just like i was reading in the story of Lazarus and in so many other glimpses of Jesus in the gospels, He was willing to walk into their hell on earth and sit with them in the mess.  He didn't always provide healing on earth.  He even let Lazarus die.   He would sit with them, grieve with them, love them.  He looked them in the eye and said "I"m here for you..."

as a believer, I know that Jesus also descended into literal hell for me.  for you.  for the entire world.  He went there to pay the price for me.  He went there to pay the price for people that will ultimately reject him.  

Really?  He was willing to sit in people's literal hell and hell on earth knowing some would reject Him?  Crazy, if you ask me!  But Jesus also makes it very clear that we are to live like him.  In fact in John 17:18 Jesus says, "As you (God) have sent me (Jesus) into the world, so I have sent them (US) into the world.

Because of Jesus death i will not ever have to go to literal hell, but i am called to sit with people in their hell on earth.  this is hard.  oh so hard.  it's easier to say, "i tried.  they didn't want my help.  they weren't changing.  i give up,"  than it is to continue to walk through their hell with them.  yet, i am called to do just that, walk through their hell with them as long as it takes - even if they never find Heaven!

so i continue to beg God for those people.  i continue to serve the blessings kids with love that runs deeper than i ever imagined.  i continue to to do my best to not give up on them.  i do my best to be the friend that Jesus was.  and i'm incredibly thankful for those that have walked through my times of hell on earth with me.  for they truly held me through it. and i pray that God will help me to go where love is needed...


*yes, i know the song is not at all about Jesus, but again,  Jesus used pop culture of His day to speak His truth.  i believe He still does.

Comments

Mrs. L. said…
True words from a deep place. No better writing. Thanks for sharing, Chris

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

the great reset?

 well....here we are.  wrapping up 2020.  it was quite a year, wasn't it?  for the past couple of weeks i've been taking some time to reflect on my word for 2020 and how it shaped the year.  the ways it changed me.  the ways i failed it.  they ways i found a reset. there is no point in rehashing the events of 2020.  i mean, it was a year no one will quickly forget, but i had no idea all the ways 2020 would force some resets in my life. i had wanted to reset my spiritual life.  that proved interesting when we found ourselves at home on Sunday mornings instead of in church.  it proved interesting as church community was displaced.   but God... He so clearly showed me that spiritual health happens outside of church walls on Sunday mornings.  i experienced growth as i was challenged to seek out how God would want me to respond to Covid, personal rights, the election, racism, hatred, and division.  i grew in different ways and found myself resetting my faith and aligning closer to J

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f