Skip to main content

it is well...or is it?

the past couple weeks have definitely had me on a roller coaster of emotions.  between sending my kids back to school, both in high school now,  and the events of the world, august has left me feeling all sorts of feels.  

several years ago, our pastor had all the staff do this strength finders test.  it was designed to help us learn about ourselves.  my top 2 didn't really surprise me:  strategic and belief.  they tend to be both a blessing and a curse.  mostly a curse.

i feel big feels.  and when i feel them, i can't shake them.  and i love to find solutions.  and lately i've felt a lot of big feels, but the solutions?  they allude me...

this morning i was driving to church and listening to a sermon.  the pastor has been talking about joshua leading into the promise land.  today he was sharing how the truth is that God has it.  God has everything in His control.  He could have knocked down the walls without any help from the Israelites, yet He gave them strict directions - march, yell, obey, do.  as i've pondered the "church's" reaction to the rampant racism it seems that a lot of us would like to hide behind the "God's got this" idea.

later, as we stood to worship we sang the song "it is well" by bethel.  i've always loved the story behind this hymn.  and i still do.  but i have to confess, that today i couldn't sing the chorus.  i just couldn't.  in my heart,  IT IS NOT WELL.  the author of this hymn lost his family in a tragic accident. and i believe he could truly struggle through the pain to say it is well.  God has got him.  God is still good.  there have been a lot of times in my life where this has been a proclamation of mine.  where that was my anthem.  but today, i just couldn't.

it is NOT well when our elementary kids are excited about Trump building a wall to keep those people out.  it is NOT well when some people still question why i desire to provide food to hungry kids.  

what is going on in the world today?  yes, God is in control.  yes, God is still good.  BUT, i believe just like He called the Israelites years ago, we are not supposed to just sit back and say that God is in control.  i have to believe He is asking us, me,  to do something.  to fight.  to march.  to yell. to knock down the walls of racism.  to knock down the walls of injustice.  to be kind.  to love well.  to serve. to dream together.  to provide hope.  to share Jesus.

i used to think i was a fighter.  that i was willing to take some steps to be the good.  to demonstrate the goodness of God.  then something shut me up.  something started to work its way into my heart that said i wasn't called to that.  and i started hurting.  hurting deep within;  my heart grew cold.

but over the past several weeks that coldness has given way to a fire.  i met with a friend this week for coffee.  as we shared our hearts, my hope was renewed.  i'm not alone.  my big feelings aren't crazy.  my heart is driven out of my beliefs. beliefs that say God is good.  God created every single person in His image.  God loves every single person.  and that God calls us to action.  He calls us to be His hands and feet. and last week i felt like i had actually seen the faces of those who feel some of the same things.

if you remember, strategic was one of my strengths and, honestly, i'm not at all sure what that is going to look like yet.  i like solutions and i don't have one, in fact, i'm not even sure there is one. but i do know that God is calling me to something.  and i'm not willing to sit back and watch.  and i pray that one day, i can look and say again, it is well.  


far be it from me to not believe
even when my eyes can't see
and this mountain that's in front of me
will be thrown into the midst of the sea

so let go my soul and trust in Him
the waves and the wind still know His name

it is well with my soul

*it is well, bethel music



Comments

Lindsey said…
Thank you Chris.... it really is hard to not let my thoughts turn cold and complacent to all the hurt in the world, but Rich and I have been struggling through these thoughts as well and wrestling with what it looks like to respond. ♥️

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes