Skip to main content

bedtime.....argh...

so i worked so hard at training my kids to sleep as babies. i could basically just put them in bed and say good night. several nights i would sing one song to them just because i liked too. mapboy has this special song i have sung every night. and princess likes to pick different songs a lot. so it had always been - a song a quick prayer and good night...

somewhere along the road things has spiraled out of control. as a way of trying to instill some cuddle time i've tried to read with the kids before bed. i miss that from their early years. now they both prefer to just read on their own. princess brought a library book home that was the night before christmas. wanting to be the good momma, after picking up and having a snack we sat on the couch to read together....but oh no, princess was wriggling all around, mapboy was flinging a pillow around and squaking....i just couldn't take it. so i gave them a long lecture about how they need to show respect when someone is reading to them or talking to them or just spending time with them.

so then we head upstairs....and of course the craziness continues. mapboy won't stop chattering, princess won't sit still while i sing and pray...then of course we need something different every 2 minutes.

i so want bedtime to be a happy time again - not just getting the kids in bed, but quietly singing and quietly talking about our day.

i can't stand the nights when i get so frustrated that i yell at them to sit still. or the nights when my prayers seem really insincere as they wriggle all around or talk. it is a downward spiral in our house. and one that breaks my heart in many ways. breaks my heart because it reveals my parenting flaws. breaks my heart because it reveals the heart of my children - which is a parenting flaw as well. breaks my heart because it reveals my selfish nature.

bedtime - it just breaks my heart!

Comments

Daisy Path said…
i'm still in the midst of cuddling with a song and a prayer, but there are nights when i'm so frustrated by bedtime...then i start to feel so bad. one night...when peanut was on her nebulizer...i literally was scolding peanut in between lines of "jesus loves me". wow!
Kori said…
Sounds like a similar season in our house. One night I told the kids because of their disrespect that now bedtime would consist of brushing their teeth, going potty and getting in bed and me turning off the light. When I closed their door, I would stand outside and pray for them. I knew this wouldn't be a long term thing. After a week, they were begging me to go back to our old routine and now we have very few problems. I will pray for you my friend! And...I don't think their behavior is a reflection of your parenting. I think it is a reflection of their sin nature! Be encouraged...you are an amazing mom!
such is the life of a parent. don't guilt yourself so badly. kids are born selfish and sinful! it's not your job at ages 6 and 8 to have that worked out of them. it's a journey. just like the journey you are on. how many adults do you know that still act like little kids!! i agree with kori. it's not a reflection of your parenting. you're a great mom. hang in there!
Holly Tried It said…
Wow! Have you considered that you might be being WAY TOO HARD on yourself? Kids have a mind of their own. They make choices. Just like we do. And then there are consequences. Just like in our lives.

My least favorite time is teeth brushing. It drives me insane!

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes