Skip to main content

tired...oh so tired...

those of you who know me know that night time is not by best time! in fact, i'd sleep 20 of the 24 hours if i could! and i do not like being woken up!!

for the past 2-3 months, mapboy has been up nightly. sometimes 2-3 times a night. each time he calls me in to tell me he has had a bad dream. well, i pray with him and usually he goes back to sleep, me too...


but lately, that hasn't been working. he gets himself all worked into a tizzy and cries and calls for me. i'm really tired and have been sick with something for the past 3-4 weeks. it is wearing on me. last thursday i had had it. i mean, come on child! there is nothing in your room other than the mess you make each day. i was frustrated and told him he would not be spending the next night at grandma's. well of course that made him more mad, but i turned on his music and lamp and left the room.


when i got back to bed, God convicted me that my child was scared for some reason and i needed to have a little more compassion. then He gently reminded me of my childhood and being scared and how my mom would sit by my bed and rub my back. i quickly realized she most likely wanted to be in her bed too. so i felt bad and apologized the next day. i told him that i should discipline him for being scared. he said, "mom, when i'm scared, i'm scared." hmm...i also realized that if anything every happened that scared him, he needed to know he could come to us.


so that leaves me with the now what? how do i deal with this nightly issue? he is exhausted, i'm exhausted, and hubby is exhausted. we have discussed the dreams, but we mostly wonder if he isn't just waking up and then hearing sounds or seeing shadows and freaking out. of course he reminds us he only has these dreams in his room. which is honestly true. so i've prayed over his room and over him....but we are still up - last night 3 times. then ironically, my body woke up and i started to get out of bed to go to his room when hubby said he hadn't heard him call. geesh....


i did stay a little more patient last night, but....i'm tired...and would sure like to figure this out...

Comments

TWitmer said…
Oh Chris...I didn't realize. I am praying for you (right now)and for Jack. Wish I had words of wisdom...love you friend. Hang in there.
Kori said…
Sweet boy! Perhaps you could have him memorize an appropriate scripture that he can recite when he wakes up scared. I know there are times that I wake up scared even at 34 years of age and I sing Jesus loves me quietly to myself and it helps immensly to bring my mind back to truth and safety! Will be praying for peaceful nights for you all my friend! Oh...and I updated my blog just for you! =) Sorry it is pics you have already seen on facebook!

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes