Skip to main content

mad church

last spring i was feeling quite drained....i am on staff part time at my church and while i absolutely love what i do, i had hit a low...i just couldn't do anymore! about that same time, i stumbled onto flowerdust. on this incredible site, i was able to put words to what i felt.



i ordered the book and dug right into it and boy was it amazing. it helped to shed a light on why i even felt like i did and how to stop the burnout. i put the advice to practice and it actually worked...



...well, until recently, that is. and while i think the advice is still very much true and would help still, i once again find myself back in that hole. having coffee with dear friend today was great, but i found myself talking about church - a topic i said i would totally avoid. it appears i can't. it has consumed my very being.



that last statement....that is the clincher. as i drove home i was mad. i hate talking about church - i hate that i talk about it the way i do. i hate that i feel about it the way i do..don't get me wrong, there are some amazing things happening...i'm just not one of them. i don't mean that in a prideful i should be amazing kind of way. i mean that in that i feel alone, tired, burned out, dry, weary, stressed, done, joyless. i don't like feeling that way.



i sat at the bus stop waiting for my kiddos hashing this out with God. He just kindly listened...i am passionate about kids. passionate about reaching them for Jesus. passionate about their families. ARE YOU? while my core being is, the rest of me right now isn't. the rest of me is tired of meetings, tired of changing strategy, tired of changing mission...and while there is excitement in that, i'm frankly tired of doing church.



i want to live for Jesus. i want to love Him. i want to desire Him. i want others to know Him. i guess those are pretty selfish statements...aren't i supposed to be about others? yes....and that right there is my problem. i think i'm tired of talking and doing church....i want to be who i am designed by God to be. and frankly, i'm not sure anymore who or what that is.



i write this as a window to my soul - and hopefully as a way for God to teach me. i'm a journaler at heart. it is in my journaling that i learn from God.....so as i ponder all that i feel and all that i desire, i expose myself to others. but what does it mean to do church and is that different from living for God? and what do we tend to do: church or living?



i know this too shall pass, it always does, but it does beg the chance to stop and think. to wonder why i feel the way i do. to seek to change. to seek truth. to seek reconciliation. to wonder......

Comments

wee little man said…
I suppose what you are tired of with "doing church" are responsibilities within your community of faith that extend beyond your own personal spiritual formation and responsibilities. Life would be a lot easier if all we had to consider was ourself. Whether you are a staff person, a leader, a volunteer, or a dedicated church member....it gets harder, messier, and far more challenging when you try to seriously embrace some ownership over what happens or doesn't happen at church. There is inevitable disappointment in yourself, others, or both.
If working as a staff member actually destroys the joy or passion of being God's workmanship...then I would say you might either be at the wrong church, or you at the right church..but in the wrong position...to use a common metaphor..on the right bus..but in the wrong seat. I would encourage you to be free to find the right bus, and the right seat. I hope you also have the courage to extricate yourself from something that is sucking the life out of you, whether it's church or something else.
Kevin Flick said…
hey you. thank you for your honesty. i think if most of were honest, we would find that most of us feel the same way. i really understand although i am not "doing" ministry like you. i really feel shoved into the same corner at times...i know i put myself there most times. i hate it too. i am longing to figure out who i am supposed to be...what He wants me to be too. i think the "trap" is that we want it right now and aren't patient to wait it out and see it for the beautiful process that it is. i honestly in a small part of my heart thought we would move and wah-la, everything would be figured out and i wouldn't be in a rut anymore. well i'm stil there and dealing with the fact that i am still there and now on my own dealing with it. BUT that's the thing, i'm not on my own...He is here with me and i have to remember that. ok...sorry to dump...but thanks for being honest! it is how i feel too.
(btw...this is the female flick not the male one, in case you were wondering! haha!)

Popular posts from this blog

2021 word: rhythm

 as i began to ponder all that i had learned about myself in 2020 i found amazing places of adaptability, leadership, and change.  those are great strengths and proved to be valuable in 2020, however those same things left me feeling a bit out of sorts, unanchored.  i know my life needs to find some grounding again.  i told my husband yesterday and a friend today that i am not looking forward to 2021.  no big plans. no vacations to look forward to.  several things are already cancelled and leaving some voids at work.  but really...there is nothing like being an incredible social person and realizing 2021 has a looming sense of loneliness when my girl takes on college. with this in mind, i knew i needed to find some ways to reclaim myself; putting space into my life filled with things that bring joy and peace.  there are things i need to continue changing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally, yet discipline is not in my skill set.  it freaks me out.  constrains me lead

me, on politics

i despise politics. i never liked it, but i married a man fascinated with it. a man who wanted to be part of it all...and was, briefly. boy were our eyes opened... anyways...it seems like this election has several hot button topics. one of which is universal healthcare. my cousin started a blog called politics for mom and there have been several heated debates going on. i was reading several comments on healthcare. and frankly i was bothered! now, i don't know that a strict universal healthcare is the answer, but i do know that we have now doesn't work for the average person. here is our story.... hubby worked in a small business - 3 employees at the most that i can remember. we paid 1/2 our insurance..until it came to the point where our half each month was twice what we would pay if we were on our own. but for the owner it saved him money. so he agreed to cover ours in full. we were very grateful. i also know at times, that because of the healthcare cost, it was a struggle f

the word...

new year.  new decade. new word.  i started the habit of choosing a word almost exactly a decade ago.  each year the word has evolved and helped shape the year. well, this year is quite likely the exception.  or at least i thought it was.  my usual yearly reflection takes me on a journey through the year where the word has evolved into something entirely different than the road i envisioned. and usually i am in awe of how God used that word. this year was strange.  looking back on the goals i set, i see failure, not awe.  now before you go and tell me i am not a failure, i did fail at the goals i set.  truly.  goal 1:  grow and develop in a healthy way.  nope.  ending the year with extra instead of less.  attempted, yet didn't follow through on many health plans.  goal 2:  grow spiritually through meditation, scripture reading, and community.  nope.  ending the year with little reading and loss of church community that grieves me deeply. late fall i started pondering thes